Gravenhurst Post-Race Report 2015
Quick link – Get the full Gravenhurst Race Results.
Another Sold Out Triathlon Weekend at Gravenhurst
Thanks to all of you for supporting our Series and continuing the sold out streak at Gravenhurst, the fourth stop of the 2015 Recharge With Milk Triathlon Series.
Gravenhurst Local Presenting Sponsor
Thanks to our Local Presenting Sponsor, IDA Gravenhurst for their support. Please visit them on race day near the Recharge Zone. For details on their products and services please visit their website.
Saturday July 18, 2015
Participants were treated a humid 30 degree plus Muskoka summer’s day, but that provided no barrier to some fast racing and a day full of enjoyment.
Richmond Hill’s Andrew Bolton, a member of the Recharge With Milk Ambassador Team, lead all athletes out of Muskoka Bay (21:59), then blasted out the fastest ride of the day (57:39) on a new course along the Frank Miller Memorial Route. Then with a comfy lead in hand, Bolton ran just fast enough to slip in under the 2 hour mark (1:59:39) to take the overall victory in the Gravenhurst Olympic Triathlon. Inverary’s Billy Bostad ran the fastest 10km (37:07) to take second in his debut at the Olympic distance, and Newmarket’s Dave Liddle claimed third.
Gravenhurst Olympic Triathlon (1.5km Swim – 40km Bike – 10km Run) – Top 5 Men
1. Andrew Bolton (Richmond Hill, ON) 1:59:39
2. Billy Bostad (Inverary, ON) 2:05:25
3. Dave Liddle (Newmarket, ON) 2:15:22
4. Steve Vandermolen (Breacebridge, ON) 2:15:26
5. Tom Fancsy (Lasalle, ON) 2:15:55
Simcoe’s Emma Plater put forth a balanced attack over all three segments (including the top run of 45:28) to finish ahead of Whitby’s Stephanie Summers and Nina Sieh of Mississauga.
Gravenhurst Olympic Triathlon (1.5km Swim – 40km Bike – 10km Run) – Top 5 Women
1. Emma Plater (Simcoe, ON) 2:21:55
2. Stephanie Summers (Whitby, ON) 2:24:45
3. Nina Sieh (Mississauga, ON) 2:27:59
4. Angela Giddens (North Bay, ON) 2:29:56
5. Jessica Adam (Toronto, ON) 2:30:03
The International Duathlon showcased a close battle between the top four overall. After the opening hilly 10 km run, Toronto’s Darren Cooney led the way into T1 (39:37), from there Etobicoke’s Andrew McLeod (31 seconds behind) hammered out a 1:03:01 bike, to lead the race into T2. With Nicolae Petrescu of Toronto in hot pursuit, McLeod managed to hold on for a 5 second victory. Windsor’s Daryl Flacks posted the top ride of 1:02:29 and held off Cooney for third.
Gravenhurst International Duathlon (10km Run – 40km Bike – 5km Run) – Top 5 Men
1. Andrew McLeod (Etobicoke, ON) 2:05:19
2. Nicolae Petrescu (Toronto, ON) 2:05:24
3. Daryl Flacks (Windsor, ON) 2:07:16
4. Darren Cooney (Toronto, ON) 2:07:38
5. Kevin Gallagher (Toronto, ON) 2:14:40
Toronto’s Janet Manley dominated the women’s race right from the start. She opened with the top women’s run of 46:40 to take a 3 minute lead over fellow Torontonian Alex Bade, and further added to that lead with a statement making 1:12:47 ride (8 minutes faster than the next best bike time), then finished with another race best run of 23:24 to easily claim the victory in 2:24:13.
Gravenhurst International Duathlon (10km Run – 40km Bike – 5km Run)- Top 5 Women
1. Janet Manley (Toronto, ON) 2:24:13
2. Stephanie Lalonde (Mississauga, ON) 2:39:36
3. Alex Bade (Toronto, ON) 2:42:35
4. Kelly Millson (Huntsville, ON) 2:45:21
5. Marie Malcolm (Bracebridge, ON) 2:56:49
Sunday July 19, 2015
Oakville’s Scott Campbell trailed after the 750m swim, but made use of the second best ride (31:38) and fastest run (21:33) to grab the overall win in 1:09:57.
Gravenhurst Sprint Triathlon (750m Swim – 20km Bike – 5km Run) – Top 5 Men
1. Scott Campbell (Oakville ON) 1:09:57
2. Mike Battaglini (Aurora, ON) 1:10:23
3. Harold Walker (St. Thomas, ON) 1:10:41
4. Logan Hunt (King City, ON) 1:11:28
5. Ken Staples (London, ON) 1:11:38
Thornhill’s Jordie Seaton also overcame a deficit after the swim and bike, but her women’s best run (21:58) on the hot, humid and hilly course earned her the victory.
Gravenhurst Sprint Triathlon (750m Swim – 20km Bike – 5km Run) – Top 5 Women
1. Jordie Seaton (Thornhill, ON) 1:14:45
2. Marusa Mason (Oakville, ON) 1:16:30
3. Catalina Maass (Thornhill, ON) 1:17:37
4. Jody Yoken (Toronto, ON) 1:17:40
5. Laura Burberry (London, ON) 1:17:45
Eighteen year old Brian Moore of Bracebridge ruled the day with the fasted times in all three segments. He led the opening 5km run with an 18:30 clocking, was the only athlete all day in either event to ride sub 30 minutes (29:38), and if that wasn’t enough, he blasted out a 9:53 final 2.5 km run to take the overall win 59:42 – the only sub 1 hour athlete.
Gravenhurst Sprint Duathlon (5km Run – 20km Bike – 2.5km Run) – Top 5 Men
1. Brian Moore (Bracebridge, ON) 59:42
2. Jonathan Bunn (Etobicoke, ON) 1:06:20
3. Glen Caradus (St. Agatha, ON) 1:09:25
4. David Lamy (Ashburn, ON) 1:09:50
5. Scott Morrison (St. Thomas, ON) 1:10:02
Matching Moore’s performance in the men’s race, Oakville’s Anna Parker posted top splits right across the board (21:38 run, 34:42 bike, and 11:13 run) to cruise to victory on the women’s race.
Gravenhurst Sprint Duathlon (5km Run – 20km Bike – 2.5km Run) – Top 5 Women
1. Anna Parker (Oakville, ON) 1:10:08
2. Anna Fiorito (Amherstburg, ON) 1:13:51
3. Karen Koehler (Algonquin Highlands, ON) 1:17:23
4. Karan Gardiner (St. Catherines, ON) 1:18:21
5. Karri Beck (Richmond Hill, ON) 1:18:47
Toronto’s Chris Anderson put together the best swim/bike combination to reach the finish line first in the Give-It-A-Tri, while Barrie’s Maxine Beland ran her way to victory in the women’s race.
Gravenhurst Give-It-A-Tri (400m Swim – 10km Bike – 2.5km Run) – Top 5 Men
1. Chris Anderson (Toronto, ON) 38:37
2. Takayuki Matsuzaki (Scarborough, ON) 40:54
3. Dave Fisher (Caesarea, ON) 42:13
4. Tim DeClercq (Mississauga, ON) 44:24
5. Jack Ciotlos (Toronto, ON) 45:12
Gravenhurst Give-It-A-Tri (400m Swim – 10km Bike – 2.5km Run) – Top 5 Women
1. Maxine Beland (Barrie, ON) 40:59
2. Chilyn Fenton (Barrie, ON) 42:21
3. Diana Gonzalez (Toronto, ON) 47:07
4. Tara Rutledge (Lucan, ON) 47:50
5. Shannon Bardin (Burlington, ON) 48:58
* Get the full Gravenhurst Race Results from all the race categories.
Athlete Race Reports
Check out these RACE REPORTS from the Recharge With Milk Ambassador Team.
These reports will give you lots of insight and information which will help you with your own racing and training.
RACERS OF THE DAY
Congratulations to our Gravenhurst Racers of the day.
Skechers Racer of the Day
The winner of this prize gets a pair of Skechers Performance Running Shoes
Ignition Fitness Racer of the Day
The winner receives an Ignition Fitness Tri Top from Champion Systems along with additional opportunities to win more.
Share a picture of you in your ROTD kit on social media and Ignition Fitness will send you a Clif prize pack. Share another pic of you racing in your ROTD kit and we’ll send you another Clif prize pack. The more races you wear your ROTD kit, the more you win!
Nineteen Wetsuit Racer of the Day
The winner receives a Nineteen Pipeline FS wetsuit (MSRP $300).
2XU Racer of the Day
The winner receives a 2XU Prize Pack worth $310
Here are our winners:
Recharge With Milk
Make sure to stop by the Recharge With Milk Recovery Zone to get your post-race Chocolate Milk, swag, recover, and to have to fun with your fellow racers.
Thanks to all of our Volunteers!
Thanks again to all of our volunteers gave up time to help the athletes in the heat and humidity. You make it possible for the athletes to do what they do. Athletes, show your appreciation and make it a practice to thank every volunteer to meet along the course at any race.
On Site Sponsors
Thanks and See you again soon
Thanks for joining us at Gravenhurst and congratulations to all of our first timers.
We hope to see you at our next stop of the 2015 Recharge With Milk Triathlon Series:
Bala Falls (July 26)
Make sure to visit the MultiSport Canada Facebook Page for all of Mike Cheliak’s photos. Share, Tag, Comment, and most of all Enjoy all of the free images.
There are more pictures available at m2 imaging.
Get Connected And Stay Informed
Connect with us and the other 7300+ athletes on the the series Facebook Page. Get all of the latest news first and interact with your fellow racers.
You can also follow us on Twitter for series tweets.
Please Support our Sponsors
We extend our thanks to each and every sponsor. Race entry fees never cover the complete cost of a particular race or series of races and without the sponsors there is no race or race series that would survive without their support. We hope that you all take a moment to check out our Series Sponsors below or visit the sponsors page and see what they do and look at the products they sell. Please thank them for supporting the sports of Triathlon and Duathlon by trying and using their products. If you do visit them please take a moment to thank them for supporting Triathlon, Duathlon and Kids races in Ontario.
|Nutrition & Hydration Sponsor||Run Course & Shoe Sponsor||Timing Sponsor|
|Custom Clothing Sponsor||Volunteer Sponsor||Eyewear & Rx Eyewear|
Local Presenting Race Sponsors
Silver Level Sponsors
|Nutrition Bar||Official Headwear||Bike Trainer Sponsor|
|Official Bike Box||Race Wheels||Recovery Sponsors|